Monday, February 27, 2012

CCC: In Training

Every year the Saturday before Easter the city of New Orleans hosts the Crescent City Classic. It is a 10k road race. For the past 3 or so years I have wanted to participate but either forgot to register, didn't train in time, etc. This year, my Mother has been big into walking/jogging/biking/working out. She had a severe knee injury about 6 months ago that required a meniscus repair among other repairs. She also has a chronic ACL tear that the doc didn't "fix". Since the surgery she has been in a brace. She wanted to do Crescent City Classic no matter what. In one of her first visits with her ortho doc she told him this was her goal, and he seemed apprehensive, but didn't put it out of the realm of possibility.

Fast forward and we have her on fire, working out, doing aquatics to strengthen her muscles to compensate for the bad knee. For Christmas my Santa Claus told my family that he/she would register us all for CCC, and he/she did.

My life schedule has kept me busy lately and I hate to admit that I haven't started training for this event yet, when it is actually in a matter of about 4 weeks. And as much as I would love to run/jog it, I just don't see that happening, but I need to practice walking. Tonight we begin the official training. We will be walking around the campus once tonight, it is about 2 miles. Before the end of the week we hope to be up to two times around, which is totally do-able. I know it's a fast transition but we are speed training here! Making up for lost time.

Hopefully I don't pass out tonight or anytime this week. I am pumped!!!

Love,

FranklyBecca

3 comments:

Bethny said...

We can totally do this!!! I believe it is 2.2 miles around campus. Tonight's time:39 minutes. We have our baseline to beat. Thanks for being my buddy Becca! We are going to have a blast at CCC!!!

Anonymous said...

Sooo impressive. I'm proud of both of yall.

Meggs said...

Oh, I wish I was there to participate! I've also always wanted to do the CCC. Have fun ladies and keep up inspiring the rest of us!