Thursday, February 23, 2012

Party Gras and Lent

Growing up in the deep south as a kid I always thought that Mardi Gras was a national holiday. Where I come from cities shut down for the festivities. Schools close, banks close, everything closes. You are left with a ghost town. Then you take a little trip to the city, 'Nawlins of course and see where everyone is hiding. People line the streets to scream and wave their hands for strands of shiny plastic balls, stuffed animals, feather boas, and in some instances, panties.

A typical float in a Mardi Gras parade

Everyone pretty much has a fair and equal chance at getting the beads. It's the stuffed animals, feather boas, and dare i say it again... panties, that you really have to work for. If you have a kid, just stick them on your shoulders and you are golden. You'll get whatever you want, and then some. At the time you think you want all this glorious loot, and sure that feeling lasts through the parade, on your walk back to your car, but somewhere between the end of the parade and your trunk you realize, "oh dear, I have this massive fifty pound bag filled with plastic beads, what the h* am I going to do with this?!"

The crap you get at the parades

But, the fun doesn't end there! You go to one parade, have a blast, and you are hooked! You want to go to every parade. I know, I have been there. The party in 'Nawlins goes on for days. The city is filled with people having a grand ole time. Dancing in the streets, drinking 'til they pass out, and living care free for just a few days, because you know what happens once Mardi Gras is over? Ash Wednesday. The beginning of the Lenten season. Some of you may now be asking yourself, "wait, but what does that mean?"

Mardi Gras means Fat Tuesday, and is always the day right before Ash Wednesday, where Lent begins. Growing up here in south Louisiana I have always been exposed to the tradition of Lent, our area is rich with Catholics, so to me it has always been acceptable for me to give something up for Lent. Lent lasts for the 40 days of the passover until Easter. I know, I am a Mormon and don't have to give up anything for Lent, but this year I gave up Facebook.

I have been wanting to quit Facebook lately, but didn't want to delete my account. I figure that the first few days of no Facebook will be difficult, right now we are starting day 2, and honestly, until about the time of posting this I haven't been tempted to try to sign on. I have gone to their url a couple times and then remembered that I'm not getting, but that was just out of habit.

I am thinking that rather than "microblogging" my thoughts on Facebook or Twitter, I will devote my time to actually write out meaningful posts to share with you all, my lovely readers, of which I think I only have about 0. So please friends, comment me! I need you to cheer me on, so that I can keep this up!

No comments: