Sunday, February 5, 2012

TH1RT3EN REASONS WHY

I finished reading TH1RT3EN REASONS WHY by Jay Asher just a few days ago.


I mentioned in a post a couple days ago that I would let you all know about it once I finished it.

Now, as with any of my reviews, I am not a pro. Take the review for what it is, entertainment.

Now before I say anything about the book I just want to let you know what the book is all about, this boy Clay receives a package filled with cassette tapes from a classmate who had recently committed suicide, named Hannah. There are 7 cassettes, each side of the cassette tells a story of one person who played a part in why she took her own life. It was a powerful read.

I found it a bit hard to read at times since in my personal life I have been affected by a love one committing suicide. It's one of those things that you want to know what may have been going through their mind to make the decision to do such a thing, but at the same time you don't because it's too painful and heartbreaking.

However, one thing that stood out to me from the book. It was really just like one line where Hannah made a comment about how she wonders if some people are like genetically preconditioned to have suicidal thoughts. This thought came to her because in one of her classes where they regularly had group discussions on topics chosen by classmates she anonymously suggested the class discuss suicide just to see if her classmates would be understanding and what not. Hannah did not get the reaction she was hoping for. Her classmates basically wanted to kill the subject, sweep it under the rug, as if they were ashamed anyone would think of such a thing.

I would highly recommend this book to anyone who asked. In fact, just go ahead and get it on your kindle/ipad/nook/comment me and i'll ship you my copy.

Love,

FranklyBecca

p.s. Leave me some comments and recommend books to me!!! I am currently stuck re-reading Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (which is an amazing book! but it's like my 5th time through it)

No comments: